Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Variety article on "Chain Reaction"  (Read 4750 times)

weaklink75

Variety article on "Chain Reaction"
« on: June 05, 2006, 12:57:57 PM »
It's going to be on an unusual schedule.... Tuesday-Thursday at 9pm Eastern, and on weekends. It also mentioned they're working on somehting for 9:30pm (this is probably "Fame Game").....plus the fact they're going back to their roots..
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 01:00:11 PM by weaklink75 »

uncamark

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 01:06:12 PM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'120432\' date=\'Jun 5 2006, 11:57 AM\']
It's going to be on an unusual schedule.... Tuesday-Thursday at 9pm Eastern, and on weekends. It also mentioned they're working on somehting for 9:30pm (this is probably "Fame Game").....plus the fact they're going back to their roots..
[/quote]

It's not surprising, considering what they've been through.

And there are four Variety-ese hyperlinks in the article, for those of you scoring at home [Keith Olbermann] or if even if you're be yourself.  [KO]

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 01:13:47 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'120435\' date=\'Jun 5 2006, 10:06 AM\']
for those of you scoring at home [Keith Olbermann] or if even if you're be yourself.  [KO]
[/quote]
Wouldn't you have to wrap that first part in <Vin Scully> tags to give complete proper attribution? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 01:55:07 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'120437\' date=\'Jun 5 2006, 10:13 AM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'120435\' date=\'Jun 5 2006, 10:06 AM\']
for those of you scoring at home [Keith Olbermann] or if even if you're be yourself. [KO]
[/quote]
Wouldn't you have to wrap that first part in <Vin Scully> tags to give complete proper attribution? :) [/quote]The correct line and syntax is: <Keith Olbermann imitating Vin Scully> For those of you who are scoring at home, or even if you're alone.</KOiVS>

(You know, it took me two years for my first 10 posts, and only about a month or so for my next 10.)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 01:57:28 PM by GiraffeBoy »
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

clemon79

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 02:00:38 PM »
[quote name=\'GiraffeBoy\' post=\'120441\' date=\'Jun 5 2006, 10:55 AM\']
The correct line and syntax is: <Keith Olbermann imitating Vin Scully> For those of you who are scoring at home, or even if you're alone.</KOiVS>
[/quote]
Um, no, it's not. At least, no more or less correct than ours. He might have used it this way, but I can confirm that he's used the "by yourself" verbage before.

(And I don't have the book with me 'cuz I'm at work, but I'm almost sure the "by yourself" phrasing is the one used in the catchphrase chapter of The Big Show.)
(You know, it took me two years for my first 10 posts, and only about a month or so for my next 10.)
Shame that Big #20 was devoid of useful content, then.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 02:01:56 PM by clemon79 »

rebelwrest

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 02:57:11 PM »
Shame that Big #20 was devoid of useful content, then.
[/quote]

Don't feel bad.  I have been here almost a year and posted 100 times, and my posts are completely devoid of any useful content.  I have been chided and declared an idiot by nearly everyone.

It is because of me that there is a lock and chain on the TTD 90 room.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

clemon79

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 03:39:41 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'120446\' date=\'Jun 5 2006, 11:57 AM\']
Don't feel bad.  I have been here almost a year and posted 100 times, and my posts are completely devoid of any useful content.  I have been chided and declared an idiot by nearly everyone.
[/quote]
At least you know. :)

DrBear

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 03:56:03 PM »
[quote name=\'GiraffeBoy\' post=\'120441\' date=\'Jun 5 2006, 12:55 PM\']
[The correct line and syntax is: <Keith Olbermann imitating Vin Scully> For those of you who are scoring at home, or even if you're alone.</KOiVS>

[/quote]

Or, to quote the late Phillies announcer Byrum Saam, explaining a complicated play in the late innings of a West Coast game: "For those of you scoring in bed...."
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 03:56:56 PM by DrBear »
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Fedya

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 09:12:12 PM »
By the way, Dr. Bear, your website would lose the Who, What, or Where Game -- it's 50 miles off from where I actually am, and there's no way I'm 6,128 miles from Door County, WI.  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 01:54:39 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'120442\' date=\'Jun 5 2006, 11:00 AM\'] [quote name=\'GiraffeBoy\' post=\'120441\' date=\'Jun 5 2006, 10:55 AM\']
The correct line and syntax is: <Keith Olbermann imitating Vin Scully> For those of you who are scoring at home, or even if you're alone.</KOiVS>
[/quote]
Um, no, it's not. At least, no more or less correct than ours. He might have used it this way, but I can confirm that he's used the "by yourself" verbage before.

(And I don't have the book with me 'cuz I'm at work, but I'm almost sure the "by yourself" phrasing is the one used in the catchphrase chapter of The Big Show.)[/quote] I just checked my copy of the audio version of The Big Show, and Keith says: "...or even if you're alone", in the tone of Vin Scully. Having also done a search on the phrase on Wikiquote, it has it as "...by yourself" (strange that I don't remember ever hearing it from Keith that way). There's also a third version I found elsewhere on the 'net, attributed to Keith, that ends with the following: "...if not, try flowers!" Lastly, there's a fourth ending (from my memory) that at least one other SportsCenter anchor has used (can't remember who): "...but if you're at home scoring SportsCenter highlights, you need to get out more!"

[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'120453\' date=\'Jun 5 2006, 12:56 PM\']Or, to quote the late Phillies announcer Byrum Saam, explaining a complicated play in the late innings of a West Coast game: "For those of you scoring in bed...." [/quote] LOL!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 01:57:25 AM by GiraffeBoy »
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 02:16:43 AM »
[quote name=\'GiraffeBoy\' post=\'120498\' date=\'Jun 5 2006, 10:54 PM\']
I just checked my copy of the audio version of The Big Show, and Keith says: "...or even if you're alone", in the tone of Vin Scully.
[/quote]
As it happens, this is how the book does have it as well.

This, however, makes your nitpicking and declaration of "correct syntax" no less incorrect and/or idiotic.

CaseyAbell

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 12:59:55 PM »
Or, to quote the late Phillies announcer Byrum Saam, explaining a complicated play in the late innings of a West Coast game: "For those of you scoring in bed...."
According to Voices of the Game, Saam once led a broadcast with: "Hello, Byrum Saam, this is everybody speaking." Sounds a little urban-legendish.

Anyway, the "news" that GSN has gone almost completely to traditional game shows is older than the Mesozoic. Anybody who's glanced at a schedule lately has gotten The Word. One tidbit in the article was the first piece of good news I've seen in some time about GSN's carriage deals: the network has hit 60M in household availability. GSN continues to bump along in the low 200Ks in actual prime time household audience, so any additional reach is welcome.

EDIT: If I had gotten my lazy butt over to the PR Newswire site, I would have seen that GSN announced the 60M mark in a release on Lingo May 15. So that news isn't exactly new, either.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 01:08:33 PM by CaseyAbell »

clemon79

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 01:17:58 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' post=\'120523\' date=\'Jun 6 2006, 09:59 AM\']
According to Voices of the Game, Saam once led a broadcast with: "Hello, Byrum Saam, this is everybody speaking." Sounds a little urban-legendish.
[/quote]
Very. I think that gaffe has been attributed to about six different broadcasters of the era.

(Which is not to say that there aren't a dozen other stories on By Saam, but that particular one is a bit ubiquitous.)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 01:31:05 PM »
[quote name=\'GiraffeBoy\' post=\'120498\' date=\'Jun 6 2006, 12:54 AM\']
I just checked my copy of the audio version of The Big Show, and Keith says: "...or even if you're alone", in the tone of Vin Scully. Having also done a search on the phrase on Wikiquote, it has it as "...by yourself" (strange that I don't remember ever hearing it from Keith that way). [/quote]
I can confirm, having heard him do it, that Olbermann did in fact invoke the phrase, "so if you're scoring at home, or even if you're all by yourself." (So we will allow poetic license for opting not to use the word "all").

Doug -- and the countdown to 2000 continues
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 01:32:08 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 02:43:56 PM »
Meanwhile, the length of this thread responding to my possible gaffe has now kept me from correcting the typo I made, to make matters even worse.

You can't win (which seems to me to be the title of a "National Lampoon Radio Hour" game show parody).